Costas Mitropoulos, Chairman of the Board, Attica Bank; Co-Chair, Greek-British Symposium
Setting out the theme and context of the third Greek-British Symposium through a short review of the year past for each country and the major changes to the UK-GR relationship.
· Peter Kellner, Chairman, NCVO (National Council for Voluntary Service); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Europe
· Dimitris Papalexopoulos, CEO, Titan Cement Company S.A.
Exploring investment opportunities in infrastructure (large scale but also micro) and sharing lessons between the UK and Greece. Geopolitics and security angles to be considered.
Keynote Speaker: Dev Sanyal, Chief Executive, Alternative Energy and Executive Vice President, Europe and Asia regions, BP plc
Moderator: Nick Malkoutzis, Editor & Co-Founder, Macropolis
- Prof. Yannis Maniatis, Minister of Environment, Energy and Climate Change 2013-2015
- Mathios Rigas, CEO, Energean Oil & Gas
- Yanos Michopoulos, Chairman, BoD, Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator (DESFA)
The most global part of the Greek economy is facing new challenges serving the international trade. UK is the base of a good part of Greek and non Greek shipping.
Keynote Speaker: Gelina Harlaftis, Director, Institute for Mediterranean Studies-FORTH; Professor, University of Crete
Moderator: Ilias Bissias, Director, Naftika Chronika
· Katy Ware, Director of Maritime Safety and Standards, UK Ship Register
· John C. Lyras, Principal, Paralos Maritime Corporation S.A.
· David Smith, Director, Strategy&, PwC UK
Session to be led by Universities UK and British Council, in part marking 80 years of the British Council Greece and the current and future opportunities in partnering on education.
Keynote Speaker: Professor Vassilios Digalakis, Deputy Minister responsible for Higher Education, Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs
Moderator: Maria Nikoltsiou, Journalist, Alpha TV
- Catherine Morgan, Professor of Classics and Archaeology, University of Oxford; Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford
- Vasso Kindi, Professor of Philosophy, Department of History and Philosophy of Science, National & Kapodistrian University
- Vivienne Stern, Director, Universities UK International (UUKi)
- Dinos Arcoumanis, Chairman of the Academic Board, Metropolitan College
The role of culture and creativity in redefining the future of our countries.
Sir Ian Blatchford, Director & Chief Executive, London Science Museum
Pushing the frontiers of applied knowledge. What are the critical factors for broadening its base in Greece and lessons from the UK.
Introductory Remarks: Nikos Vettas, General Director, IOBE; Professor, Athens University of Economics and Business
Moderator: Vicky Pryce, Professor; Member of the Board, Centre for Economics and Business Research(CEBR)
- Stavros Messinis, Co-Founder, The Cube
- George Nounesis, Director & Chairman of the Board, National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos”
- Fragkiskos Vellis, Head of Voice Core Engineering, Vodafone Group UK
Importance to society, role of diaspora and sharing best practice across countries.
Keynote Speaker: Thodoris Georgakopoulos, Editorial Director, diaNEOsis
Moderator: Yannis Palaiologos, Op-ed Editor, Kathimerini
· Theophilos Priovolos, Principal, North Start Group
· Angela Kail, Director of Consulting, New Philanthropy Capital
· Dr. Angeliki Kosmopoulou, Executive Director, A.C. Laskaridis Charitable Foundation
· Jonathon Bond, Chairman, Grosvenor Britain & Ireland; Non Executive Director, Jupiter Fund Management plc of the Lloyds Bank Insurance; Trustee, Chalke Valley History Festival and of the Ionian Environment Foundation
· Manolis Pratsinakis, Onassis Research Fellow, SEESOX; Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford
· Stathis Kalyvas, Gladstone Professor of Government, Department Politics & Int. Relations, University of Oxford
The Rt Hon Lord Maude of Horsham, Francis Maude Associates LLP; Co-Chair, Greek-British Symposium